Well, I don't hate these panniers, but they're going to be sitting in my closet for a long time. Before I really knew what style dress I was going to make, I decided that I needed panniers. One major reason was that they seemed to be a staple undergarment for most of the 1700's, and they seemed really fun to make.
After doing more research, I decided a bumroll was going to work best with the robe à l'Anglaise retroussée that I wanted to make. I fretted over this for quite a while, as my skirt supports would influence the way all my petticoats would be made.
I followed The Dreamstress's amazing Pannier-Along (link at the bottom of the post) and handsewed everything. This was the first thing i'd sewn entirely by hand, which was a small achievement for me.
I picked up some lovely oatmeal coloured cotton that looked very pannier-esque. When I got around to adding the reed, however, I realized that the weave was far too loose and was prone to warping. Lesson learnt. Luckily everything held in place, and I added some extra reinforcement in places where the reeds could poke through.
The reed was ordered off Fishpond.co.nz of all places. They were the only New Zealand supplier that I could find who had basket weaving supplies, and the price worked out about the same as shipping it from American based stores. If anybody knows of a New Zealand store that sells coils of reed, i'd love to know!
I'm pleased with how they've turned out, and they give a very nice shape that requires me to walk sideways through doors. Now I just need to make a dress to fit them!
Click the image to be taken to the Pannier-Along homepage: